SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joesmom_gw

Patio VS Deck in NJ

joesmom
17 years ago

Hi everyone. We are in the process of moving from Texas to New Jersey. I'm still in TX while hubby is working in NJ and trying to manage the final stages of our new house. We are down to the final 2 months before move in and are into the fun stuff now. Picking countertops, floors, lights, etc. We have also built into the budget a decent dollar amount for a deck. However I am wondering if we should do some type of paver patio instead. We have been told by our builder that for the $$ we have alotted it would normally get us a 'maintenace free deck' of about 10' X 20'. But I like the looks of some sort of paver patio, it just has a more elegant and lush look/feel about it to me. Unfortunately we would have about 6 steps down before reaching ground level in the back yard currently. I'm thinking that really wouldn't be an issue other than the fact you can see the foundation of the house in that space so I would obviously do some nice foundation planing to cover that up.

My question is this...I know it is like trying to compare apples to oranges, but would each of these options (deck vs patio) cost about the same or would one be more $$ than the other...finished size being equal??

ANY thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (7)