SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nchisik

Help! Opinion of annuals for window boxes wanted!

NMC
17 years ago

Hello to all;

Okay, I am concerned that I messed up. Today I went to a popular but well respected nursery in my area (Bordines for any that know of it) and I think I may have been talked into something that I shouldn't have let myself be talked into! I have 4 very large window boxes to fill, which all get full sun. Last summer I lost everything despite my daily watering....everything "cooked" and I had to replace all of my annuals. I ended up with wax begonias, mainly because that was all that I could find since it was so late in the season. (I know you are thinking that begonias would not do well in full sun...which they did NOT....but they were so cheap at that point that I bought them anyway. Needless to say they looked awful two weeks later.)

Anyway, this year I was determined to use something that is pretty reliable but would give me lots of deep color. I was set on the dark blue wave petunias, since they need no deadheading and "bounce back" after abuse according to other threads that I have read. I thought that I would find other fillers and be set. I got to talking with a staff member at the nursery and she told me that basically all petunias now require no deadheading, and that if I got the wave petunias they would become quite "leggy" and would probably cascade much more than I wanted. She convinced me to give the "ultra" blue petunia a try, which has a more mounding effect. She said that I would be much happier with the fullness and that they would be just as easy. Am I going to be outside deadheading every day??? I do not want that!!! I also bought White licorice which is trailing and I know does well for full sun, and lastly angelonia serena white......not sure how it will perform but the upright frilly blooms I thought would add some height.

So, anyone have any opinions? Did I make a mistake with the petunias? I haven't unpacked them so I can return them if necessary. I really wanted a dark purple or blue color this year but I definitely am not home enought to deadhead 4 windowboxes of petunias every day, so if you can think of anything better I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks for listening!

Comments (2)