SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Showy partial sun annual for flower boxes

joannemb
13 years ago

My husband built me 3 long rectangular flower boxes for the porch, and this summer I filled them with New Guinea impatiens. They really didn't do a whole lot by themselves...didn't get all that large or spread much, and they just look kind of puny in there. Maybe if I crammed more in it would have helped, but they were so darn expensive! I planted 18 of them (6 in each planter.) I think I need something that spreads a bit more....

I'd like something white and something showy, and deadheading isn't a problem. I actually like to dead-head (must be from my teen years... all of those Grateful dead shows) lol

I thought about wave petunias, but I wonder if this area will get enough sun. Faces east--gets morning sun from 8-1. I actually wonder if it was a bit too much sun for the new guineas, because the ones right by the door (that do not get any direct sun) seem much bigger. On the other hand, they were hanging baskets that I just stuck into my planters...and I know they usually cram a bunch of plants into those baskets.

Any suggestions? I just want these planter to look more lush and full.

{{gwi:18758}}

Here's the planter that gets no direct sun: Much fuller... is it because there's more plants there, or less sun?

{{gwi:18760}}

I'd love to be able to put the same flower in all of the planters... the front has a very formal look and I'm a fan of mass planting one type. Might not be possible though since the long flower boxes are out further on the porch, getting more sun as a result.

Also, I'm a novice and am not up to the whole thriller, spiller etc. idea.... One type for now (next year) and then once I can get that right I'll start getting fancier in years to come!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm