SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlebabywulf

4x20 bed design help

13 years ago

My husband's employer has several garden plots on their property that they rent out to employees. We were put on their waiting last year, and just found out that we were able to get a 4x20 plot this year (not a raised bed).

I've only ever done limited container gardens, so I'm kind of freaking out about how to plant a "real" garden. : ) I've played around with some garden planners, and read about square foot gardening (it didn't seem super helpful for this situation), so I was wondering if people who are real-life gardeners would be willing to share how they'd plant a garden with these veggies:

peas, green & yellow wax beans, tomatoes, jalapenos, yellow summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers (both pickling and eating), and companion radishes & carrots.

We're a family of two, so I think/hope what I've chosen is reasonable for the plot size. On the other hand, I'd love to be able to freeze, can, and dry any extra veggies we have. Also, my husband won't eat anything but the peas, beans, peppers, and - if I'm very lucky- a few tomatoes on BLTs. The squash, zucchini & cukes are allllll mine! : )

Thanks for any advice you can offer a newbie!

Comments (19)