SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengirl29

Series #1: yearly soil preparation for raised bed

gardengirl29
15 years ago

Greetings all!

I could really use some help with a plan for this summerÂs garden of a small variety of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and beans. IÂm getting ready for my third summer of veggie gardening (learning many lessons, but not nearly fast enough!), so this will probably be the first in a series of posts...

To offer some background information, I built a 7 x 8 raised bed two years ago using directions from the Better Homes & Gardens website (before I discovered GardenWeb, of course). The directions were for a 4 x 4 bed and included the following soil mix: Six 40-pound bags topsoil, three 40-pound bags compost, one 3.8-cubic-foot bale sphagnum peat moss. As I basically doubled the size of the bed, I used approximately double the amount of that indicated above. Additionally, last year I added more topsoil, compost, and sphagnum (I donÂt remember exactly how much, but IÂm thinking it was approximately ½ the BH&G recipe indicated above). I planted cucumber, tomato, and pepper seedlings (3 to 4 of each), and mulched with free bark from a former coworker who had cut down some trees, although I donÂt know what kind of trees. Due to financial restraints and limited resources, I buy pretty much everything from LoweÂs/Home Depot (topsoil, compost, etc) and local nurseries (seedlings mainly, and a small amount of "special" soil mix for my containers). BTW, the pole beans did pretty well with a teepee in their container and IÂll probably do that again this year, but the pepper and tomato plants (one of each in its own container) did poorly so I need to figure something out for those later on...

So todayÂs question is: What I should do to prepare the soil in the raised bed for this summer (and each subsequent summer)? I am learning that peppers and tomatoes are big Nitrogen lovers, so I feel like I should somehow add some N, as well as perhaps more bagged compost. The mulch from last year is still thereÂshould I rake off the topmost layer and add an inch or two of bagged compost on top of that? As for the Nitrogen, IÂve read that alfalfa pellets can be a good source of N. Should I get some of that from the feed store? Approximately how much would you recommend? Does it go on top or get mixed in? Lastly, should I help warm the soil with black plastic between now and planting the seedlings in May/June?

My apologies for the lengthy post and many thanks in advance for any information you could offer!!!

-Gardengirl

Comments (8)