SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
watergal_gw

Redesigning front porch step

watergal
17 years ago

Our house has a concrete porch and driveway, and a short L-shaped walk connecting the two. There is one concrete step leading up to the porch. The soil around the foundation has settled in the 13 years that we've lived here, and the walk has cracked and the step has settled significantly - and it was already a fairly steep step to begin with. (Every year a few toddlers trip on it during trick-or-treat and I'm starting to feel guilty.)

Issue #1 - I spoke with a home renovation company. Although they can do the concrete, they would like to sell us pavers instead. They do look classier, but they also cost more, and I think they would look silly on a 10 foot long walk between a concrete porch and a concrete drive. Plus, the walk is almost completely shaded in the winter, and we have to chip at the ice, and I'm thinking concrete would be more durable than pavers for this reason.

Issue #2 - What is an ideal height for an easily navigable step? We're not getting any younger, and we have elderly relatives. I'm thinking two small steps would be easier to climb than one big one.

Issue #3 - There is a porch railing, but no handrail by the stairs. (I fell off and got a compound fracture of my ankle there in 2001, although I think it was due to my own carelessness and not the house design, but I always wonder...) Would it look silly to have a railing only on one side, the side away from the driveway? This would give us something to hold onto, but keep the area from being too confining when we lug groceries or sofas or whatever.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me. This is a nice but unpretentious middle/upper-middle class subdivision home on a quarter acre lot, larger than a starter home but way smaller than an estate home.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor