SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mberry1_gw

Sick garden!! Peas, zucchini, bell pepper, melon, herbs

14 years ago

Help me! I'm new to gardening and half my garden is sick! We can't seem to get much to really grow. I live in central California, so the weather is great, but we've had rain on and off since planting. Even so, it's CA! What we call cold, the rest of you call hot! Nightime temps rarely go below 60. All the plants are in commercial potting soil and are usually watered in the morning. (The CA weather dries them up pretty quick.) They all get full sun. The originals were planted 6-8 weeks ago. Most of them have stunted growth, but I also have obviously sickly plants and discolorations. Please tell me what might be wrong with these plants!! THANK YOU!!!

(The potting soil is: Supersoil Premium Potting Soil, Nitrogen 0.14%, Phos 0.09%, Potash 0.02%, Iron 0.25%.)

Peas: 7 plants in a hanging pot, started as seeds inside. They were growing great until a few days ago when they started to turn yellow, starting at the base.

Zucchini: Half-barrel. The seeds we started inside failed to grow once transplanted, so we planted a store-bought seedling a couple weeks ago. It was growing ok, but this week it's leaves have become very yellow and it's shriveling up. Amazingly, it has a flower and a tiny zucchini growing! There's no evidence of infestation, although other plants have aphids. It's grown to about half the size of its yellow squash neighbor that has the same history (except the seedling is fine!).

Bell pepper: Not growing! 3 plants started as seedlings in 5 gallons. They haven't changed at all, except to look a bit weakly.

Melon: Watermelon and cantaloupe seeds started inside and transplanted to a half barrel. Again, they didn't grow! But they also looked sickly. We finally gave up and added a cantaloupe seedling and directly planted watermelon seeds (couldn't find a seedling). It's all growing (finally), but the original plants are still there and sickly. What happened? And can they be saved? And could it happen to the new watermelon seedlings?

Basil: This started as a cinnamon basil seedling in 5 gal, but it hasn't grown either. The leaves have turned brown, especially near the top, but it isn't dried/dead brown, just color! I thought it was normal for the plant until I looked up a photo of it. Last week, I gave up and planted 3 sweet basil seedlings around the cinnamon. (The idea was to not to pull up the cinnamon, just in case it was salvaged, but also not waste the pot.) Maybe this was a bad move... If it's got a contagious problem...?

Parsley: Planted as seedlings in 5 gal. Another no-grow. Started going yellow, so checked its tag and discovered it needs shade! Oops! But it hasn't improved, so I looked online and found that it needs *full sun*. ?! Which is it and what's wrong with my parsley?!

Oregano: Window box, 9"x9"x24". Seedlings planted in a row. They filled out quite nicely at first and I harvested a small bit, but now they seem to have stopped growing! In addition to the natural green color, it has shades of light brown and even purple! Like the basil, this looked natural until I found pictures.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor