SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sojay_gw

my first asparagus harvest!

13 years ago

I've never grown asparagus before, so this is a new experience for me, but wow, now I realize what I've been missing all these years! I had no idea freshly picked asparagus tasted so much better than store bought.

Last spring I planted a 4x8' bed with 25 plants, I let them sit for a year, and now they are producing very well.

The spears are either very thick (thumb) or very thin (pencil). Should I let the small ones go to fronds and just harvest the thick ones? I missed picking a few of the thick ones since they shot out of the ground several feet tall before I noticed them. Is there any reason to cut these off or should I just let them sit?

I've understood only to harvest for 2 weeks this year, but I've found contradictory info on harvest in the following years. Any advice?

In terms of quantity, how much more will the plants produce in the coming years? I mean, do mature plants shoot up many spears simultaneously? I'm so excited about growing asparagus that I'm contemplating adding 25 more plants. My family loves them, but I tend to selfishly eat them raw before they even make it into the kitchen. They seem to be an easy crop to grow, and in early spring I have space between the rows for radish and arugula.

Comment (1)