SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

All these onion transplants!

15 years ago

I ordered DixonDale's short-day onion sampler and they arrived Monday. I've finally gotten my bins set up and will plant them this afternoon.

I ordered "1 bunch" of the short-day sampler (Texas Supersweet yellow, Contessa white, and Southern Belle Red). Their literature says 1 bunch is "at least" 5 dozen transplants. Okay, that's 60 transplants or maybe a little more and quite enough for us.

Well, in preparation for planting them, I separated at least 80 reds and 45 yellows and 70 whites!!!!! Daggone if that isn't nearly 200 plants altogether!!!!!

Talk about an embarrassment of riches! and what am I going to do with all these onion transplants? The only way I can plant them all is to plant them 2" apart and begin thinning them for spring onions as soon as they start to grow. The mature onions will end up with 4" spacing instead of the five inches I wanted, but guess I'll have to live with it. I'd wanted mature onions from this project, not dozens of spring onions, but I guess I've got 'em whether I want them or not.

Think this spacing will work? Will they be misshapen? What else can I do with the transplants? My garden soil is heavy clay and there isn't time or money to amend it for onions.

Comments (3)