SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillsmo

Need suggestions for kid friendly ground

jillsmo
17 years ago

Hi all! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I'm re-doing my 2000 square foot back yard; I've hired the contractor and I've done the design myself. I have a 500 square foot area that I want to be "child friendly," as I'm planning to install a wooden playstructure and let the kids (age 5 years & 19 months) do whatever they want there. My problem is that I can't figure out what to install on the ground there. Ideally I will have something that is soft so that if somebody falls off the structure, they won't crack their head open. I do not want grass; I don't want to have to install irrigation on that side of the yard and I don't want to have to mow or weed around the playstructure. My options so far:

1. Playground tiles - Would be my preference, except it will cost me $4000 on materials, alone

2. Playground mulch - My second choice, will cost me $2000, except: will it get tracked around? We have cats, squirrels, raccoons and possums living back there, will they dig into it? Will they eat it? Does it smell? Can you ride a bike over it?

3. Waterless grass? My husband hates this idea, but my questions are the same as the playground mulch, plus what if it gets cat pee on it? Will it stink? Does it get torn up?

What are my other options? Any suggestions are most welcome, thanks!! :)

Comments (9)