SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emorems0

Question about head lettuce

10 years ago

I'm questioning whether I should start my lettuce inside and transplant or just direct sow outside. I'm growing two kinds of head lettuce, romaine and buttercrunch. I've never had good luck forming nice heads because I always started too late and they bolted with the warmth.

I do have a grow light inside, but I think that space might fill up fast with my tomatoes, etc. that I'm also starting this weekend. The forecast here finally looks like Spring (minus the cold and snow that we got this morning) so I'm thinking it might be better to just direct sow them outside.

The next 10 days should average around 50F during the day and in the upper 30s at night. I should be able to plant my lettuce directly outside now, right?

And if we get another cold snap I can use the milk jug trick to give them some protection, right? *I don't have a proper cold frame, just my recycleables and some floating row cover. But don't some people do 'winter sowing' like that with milk jugs?

I put the lettuce in my partly shaded bed because they tolerate shade better than most of my other plants. Will the part shade cause them to get leggy? Or will the cold temps and cool soil mitigate that?

I suppose I could start them in a container outside in full sun and then transplant them to the partly shaded bed once they are bigger, would that help or just be an unnecessary hassle?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County