SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

Pro Mix BX in GeoPots, did I do this correct?

njitgrad
11 years ago

I am currently in the process of hardening off my seedlings. In the mean time I decided to start prepping my containers with growing mix. This is the first time I am using Pro Mix BX and the first time I am using GeoPots.

First let me say that 4 compressed bales of Pro Mix BX goes a VERY LONG way. I filled six 20-gallon, one 15-gallon, six 10-gallon, and six 5-gallon GeoPots. I also had enough left over to fill all ten of my standard annual flower pots.

My 20-gallon GeoPots are for tomatoes, my 15-gallon is for my Black Beauty eggplant, my 10-gallon ones are for various peppers, smaller eggplants, and string beans, and my 5-gallon ones are for herbs and such.

What I want to know is....

1) Did I set the pots up right with respect to moistening the mix? For the 20-gallon GeoPots, I added 5 handfuls of the mix into the GeoPot, spread it evenly then soaked it for a few seconds with the shower setting on the garden hose before adding the next five handfuls. As I got to the smaller pots, I decreased the number of handfuls between soakings to 4, then to 3 for the five gallon GeoPots and flower pots.

2) For the 20-gallon tomato GeoPots, I stopped filling the containers 6 inches below the top of the container and then added my tomato cage. Is that about right amount of growing mix? If the tomatoes grow taller than I expect, I can always add extensions to my cages. In NJ my tomato plants have never been more than 3-4 feet tall.

3) I was planning on planting the seedlings in the GeoPots this weekend but with chilly nights forecast for Sun/Mon in the Northeast (low 40s) I think I will wait until Tuesday. Or should that not be a concern?

4) Do I need to add any fertlizer to the growing mix? The instructions on the bales seemed to suggest it, but I was under the impression that the Pro Mix is already filled with nutrients. If fertilizing is required can someone suggest a fertilizer for this mix, application method/guidelines, and frequency?

5) In the pics below you can see one tomato GeoPot up close and then the three more that I added. Once I got all four up, I moved them away from the siding of the house close to the edge of the pavers so there would be growing room. In between these GeoPots, my plan is to plant sprawling annuals to fill in the gaps. Does anyone think this is NOT a good idea?

{{gwi:29754}}

{{gwi:29755}}

{{gwi:29756}}

{{gwi:29757}}

Comments (10)