SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yardvaark

Look here bahia...

Yardvaark
12 years ago

Bahia, I barely ever can capture an image... and especially after things are grown in (like you seem to have an endless supply of!) Here's a sampling and I confess, there's photo-tweaking done to some of them. Photos often taken before work finished.

"Before" - because of dark shade you can't see but has conc. stoop on l. side. (Isn't this a strange looking house?)...with one of everything at front! The slope to street is deceiving; there's more of it than appears.

{{gwi:16980}}

"rose" on trellis painted (admittedly not very good!) Cupola and porches my adds. Front is parking court.

{{gwi:16982}}

To give you an approximation of how things laid out.

{{gwi:16984}}

Today, I would do away with annuals planted in front of "bay" of wall. Porch rafters are 3" nominal thickness lumber. Cedar timber brackets are curved which you can probably see better in other picture.

{{gwi:16986}}

Panorama of 3 photos (steps don't really bend!) everything square & straight. Liriope bloom is painted; grass is photoshopped. Intent of tree forms is perfect domes (no haircut yet.) Trunks are painted metallic gold & uplit (110v); hedge is Osmanthus.

{{gwi:16988}}

Sadly, the grass not there for photo so is "Shopped" (not by me; I don't know how to do that.) While the columns were there, they were only half painted so from black stripe down is Photoshopped. Is 1st year Asparagus at top. Has irrigation, uplight... are green "clouds" at night. (Will be Atlanta palm tree!) Note tip of buried stone obelisk in background...talk about re-purposed!... what to do with the trash rubble pile. (Lawn would have continued wrapping house. All beyond was mulch in various stages of becoming ivy.)

{{gwi:16991}}

Columns after painting. (No planning. Just free-hand whim.) ... a little over 9' ht. Mirror image pair. Bell is metallic gold. (obviously, not the typical client... or the typical community!)

{{gwi:16993}}

Spring bloom. Driveway not in yet so is "painted"; also power lines painted out. The "lawn" is Dianthus... a little much for a couple of weeks, but as a friend of mine always used to say, "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!" In other shots "stone" is genuine, but here is painted. Bowl is 5'd.

{{gwi:16995}}

Looking down the street. Originally, there was a sourwood in the bowl. Beyond Susans is only big trees (not being killed by e. ivy!)

{{gwi:16997}}

An early project. grass not in at time of photo, so painted. "Before" below.

{{gwi:16999}}

{{gwi:17000}}
By yardvaark at 2012-03-08

Aerial shot of central part of small campus. I outlined shaded parts of walkways so you could see better. Also included lighting, furniture, plantings. : ( I see a couple trees have died.

{{gwi:17001}}

Big surprise... flowers are "painted"! Trees are Zelkovas so will form giant gothic arch. Lawn is used for outdoor ceremonies. Wish I had access to "before" pictures so you could see. All sidewalks were 4' wide utility concrete. They shot straight in all manner of angles like an airport runway system. All lighting was farm mercury vapor lamps on galvanized plumbing pipe!

{{gwi:17002}}

Walkway view

{{gwi:17003}}

Over the years I've wondered how to describe my style. I see it as neither "formal" nor "informal". Could never come up with what to call it. But looking here today, I think it has a "funeral home" feel and quality about it. I don't mean that in a morbid sense. Don't know what to think about that! There must be a better term.

Comments (20)