SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andyinnyc

Potato Bins

andyinnyc
13 years ago

I've followed all (that I could find) of the threads on building potato bins and decided that I'm going to try it.

The directions posted in the Seattle Times (found in the threads) has some serious errors in the diagrams! It has 6 6" levels (6x6 = 36") which meet squarely with the top and bottom of the 2x2 posts - which are 33". It also has one buy a single 2x2x10 post and cut into 4 33" sections to make the corners. Hmm, 12" x 10' = 120". 33" x 4 = 132" - these must be the same guys who do government economics.

In any event, I'm going to use T-Nuts on the backs of the posts so that I can reuse the boards/holes in posts for subsequent seasons (rather than trying to drill new holes each year).

My questions - oh, yes, there are questions - are:

Do the potatoes make new roots throught the levels or just potatoes - ie do I need soil for the plant to grow in? When you cover tomatoes, they make new roots.

What's the easiest/cheapest filler to use as I raise the levels of the container? I'd like to use straw, but I don't know if that will work given the first question. I don't have an unlimited amount of soil, and I've read that potatoes actually don't like really good/rich soil.

Last one. I plan on growing a sweet potato called Evangeline - does anyone know if this plant thrives in a container or will it just make potatoes on the first level (a la all the stories of non-late potatoes in the various bin threads)?

Thanks all.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting