SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rootdoctor

Questions for Al

rootdoctor
16 years ago

Ok, remember me? I posted about my organic container pepper grows, microlife, worms, etc. and all I got was that my practices wouldn't work, sustain, wheres the pics, etc. I am not posting to cause problems or to troll, yet am wondering about my transplanted peppers I held over from last year. One was in a 5 gallon bucket and I transplanted it into a 12 gallon black plastic container today. This was out last year, all year, in the hot sun, without any other fertilizers, save a tea once every couple of weeks. The root mass was/is intense. The entire inside of the bucket was encased in healthy roots, pulled out in a single clump, and was full, in my opinion, of worms. I could see 8 on the outside of the ball. I transplanted this into the same mix, in the 12 gallon container for this years growth. The pepper in the 12 gallon, I transplanted into a 20 gallon meant for tree shipping. The roots were thick, but hadn't encapsulated the entire area. Worms, nightcrawlers, abundant. What gives?? I am not close minded, and have purchased enough of the required mix to pull off 1/3 of my peppers and container tomatoes in your mix this year for side to side comparisons to see how I may increase my pleasure in my hobby. There was some settling of the mix in my containers, but a gallon of water poured in, still gave back 1 quart, and this is after the soil was not all the way dry. The areas in the mix where I had layered my organic nutes, and the "tunnels" were entirely encapsulated by roots as well. I don't think that the peppers would have done as well this year as last - I'll give you that, but they were obviously healthy, robust, and in order for me to grow them larger they needed the transplant. Any comments or pointers you can give me would be appreciated. TiMo the old skool organic guy

Comments (2)