SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

fertilizing veggies........

I have managed to find some info on fertilizing some vegetables. Based on what little information I've managed to acquire so far on fertilizing vegetables, I know they can be categorized into three categories.

A question about fertilizing vegetables. In group 2, which is light feeders for fertilizing the veggies in that group, they're mostly leafy veggies. Can I assume that any leafy vegetable that is green is going to fall under the category of being a "moderate feeder" when it comes to fertilizing them? Is this a general rule of thumb? If such is the case, please inform me of this.

These categories are based on how heavy they feed and I've broken them up into three categories: "heavy feeders", "moderate feeders", and "light feeders". By gleaning some info that was acquired from a book I checked out at the library, I have a list of some vegetables and how heavy, moderate, or light they feed.

This is the information I have so far:

Fertilizer requirements for veggies:

"Heavy Feeders":

celery

corn

melons

peppers

pumpkins

tomatoes

"Moderate feeders":

kale

lettuces

spinach

"Light feeders":

beets

onions

garlic

leeks

carrots

potatoes

What I need information on is these vegetables and how to fertilize them. Basically what I need to know is what group the vegetables below fall into as far as fertilizing them goes, that is "heavy feeders", "moderate feeders", or "light feeders".

acorn squash

artichokes

asparagus

broccoli

butternut squash

cucumbers

eggplant

green beans

kholrabi

parsnips

radishes

sugar snap peas

turnips

yellow squash (a.k.a. summer squash)

zucchini

I have a hunch with some of the ones listed above. My theory is that any type of squash is going to be a heavy feeder, as is cucumbers and eggplant will be a heavy feeder as well. Please keep in mind this just my hunch; if I'm wrong on this, please let me know.

I would also appreciate information on what nutrients and/or minerals vegetables need when they're growing. If somebody could provide a list of common minerals and/or nutrients vegetables need, I would greatly appreciate it.

I could also use information on what types of vegetables need substantial amounts of what mineral(s) and/or nutrient(s) to grow and thrive, and to mature.

Comments (6)