SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

How does one treat an abrupt edge before a steep slope?

Our house used to be fronted by an 8+ acre hillside that was essentially considered an informal nature preserve by the previous elderly resident. When the previous owner died, her children decided to pare the lot down to 1/2 acre for the house and sell the rest to a developer--this was still not a done deal when we purchased the house. Many thought it would fall through. Development forces won. The developer has slated 15 houses for the remaining 8 acres--one has already been built, but with the market the way it is, it may be a while before the others follow.

Meanwhile, our entire topography has changed. Being on the highest point, we now look down steep denuded slopes to a cul de sac. Instead of a sloped lawn that connected with the rest of the hill, the grass ends abruptly at this 2/1 slope that has grass seed/hay thrown on it.

I don't know how to treat what was private, but is now the public face of our house, along this lawn edge. We are probably a good 20-30 feet above the roadway. (BTW, if it makes a difference to responses, on the development plans I saw it shows that this slope supposedly gets conveyed to us to deal with, but there has been no official paperwork as of yet.) Meanwhile, how do I treat this edge? One nice aspect still remaining is that we can still view the town vista with lit up church steeples and "City Lights".

Comments (4)