SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gametheory

Tips for repotting in gritty mix

gametheory
13 years ago

Hello,

I've just received some new plants in conventional potting material and would like to repot them with a grittier mix. I'm a very busy urban apartment dweller with no car and only a couple of plants, so I can't afford to assemble a full gritty mix, but I've found some Hoffman Bonsai Soil Mix about which Al said, "I remember having bought a bag of this brand of soil about 10-12 years ago. It is finer than what I make myself, but as a general soil for houseplants, including cacti & succulents, it will still be superb. The only appreciable difference between Hoffman's and what I would make for my own use is that they don't screen the ingredients to separate/remove fine particles & I do." ... It's not perfect, but it will have to be good enough. :-)

Anyway, I have a bunch of new plants in 2" pots and may replant some of my larger plants as well. I've read in other posts that it can be bad to have conventional water retaining soil in the same pot as a faster draining mix because it can lead to root rot. This question is primarily for Al, but also to others as well... What general advice do you have for repoting from a conventional soil to a grittier mix?

With plants this young that have just been shipped, I hesitate to prune roots. One idea I had was to put the root ball under water and wash all the conventional soil away, placing the "naked" roots in the gritty mix. Would that be crazy, though? Is it better to just work at it a little bit with a chopstick to get much of the old mix away?

Thanks in advance and thank you for the other wonderful posts!

Comments (9)