SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wellspring_gw

1 Yard, 1000s of Landscapes

wellspring
17 years ago

I don't really know where I'm going with this thread starter, but this idea has tried to bubble to the surface of my mind many times while reading this forum.

Individual homeowners are often extraordinarily devoted to the plot of ground where they reside. If their home is their castle, then the yard is their "estate", be it ever so humble.

I'm not really attached to my house or yard in this emotional way, but I sense it in others and will use my case as a starting point. I know my own yard--front and back--intimately well. I'm peculiarly in tune with it because my personal horizon is limited to what I can reach. In other words, I've learned this ground through the soles of my shoes and my finger tips. I have a certain depth of knowledge about 1 yard. Yes, it generates my exploration of many LD and garden related topics, but most refer back to this one locale.

The professional Lder looks at my landscape differently(?) Not just because she/he is trained to do so, but also because she/he has dealt with 1000s of projects, perhaps hundreds of them dealing with L-shaped bi-levels on flat modest lots.

Here are some of my nebulous wonderings

1. Does this "1 yard factor" influence homeowners? If so, how?

2. Is it this factor that tempts homeowners to place everything--waterfalls, gazebos, decks, bridges, obelisks, etc.--into their landscape, regardless of whether including "all of the above" is suited?

3. Does knowing one site well give some gardeners an edge in designing a particular garden?

4. How about the Lders and Las? Are there subtle ways that exposure to 1000s of landscape projects influence the perception of one particular site? Non-obvious ways? I meanÂand this may be a poor assumptionÂbut can the LA lose something of the particularity of the one site because of exposure to the many?

What do you think?

Wellspring

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath