SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indymom76_gw

Hi, new to the forum

indymom76
12 years ago

Hi everyone; I usually post on the hosta forum, but today I have a question for you guys! I have read some of the posts here and would love to bounce some ideas around here about my backyard. We moved into our house about five years ago. We live in zone 5 (Indiana) and from pictures you'll see that our lot is pie-shaped. We have about 0.8 acres; most is in the front and the pie "point" is in the back. The previous owners did not want to worry about mowing, so they laid out ground cover-English ivy and something else that has taken over the backyard. There are pockets of crocus and mayapple which we don't mind and would like to incorporate into the landscape design, if possible. If some are taken out, that is fine.

The first two summers we lived in the house we were out of state and came back to a wild back yard. I want to reclaim it. I have begun the tedious task of ripping out the ivy and other ground cover; we want to blow the leaves out, cut down the new saplings that are beginning to come up and start new. There are a few dead trees in the back yard that we will have to remove as well and one black walnut I would love to get rid of-sits close to house and drops the annoying balls from the tree.

The yard slopes away from the house and with heavy rains, the backyard can get mushy (there used to be a pond a few houses to the east of us). I didn't know if I should bring in some dirt to try to level out the backyard before beginning landscaping endeavors. I did include a rough sketch that I made one day when I was bored; I can envision a walking path with lots of hosta and a sitting area with a fire pit back there as well. I'd like to get a new privacy fence put up around our yard; the one in place has seen better days.

We do have a patio off the house now that is approximately 10 x 15 feet. I would like to extend that across the back of the house. I would love to close off the door that leads out to the patio and knock out a window (seen in one of the pictures) and put a french door in there that leads out to the new patio area. I'd love to see something with stone that has seating and would be fun for entertaining.

I'm open to suggestions! I will try to find the exact dimensions of the property later on for reference.

Here are the pictures:

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Project

Comments (10)