SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmalinesuzanne

Wild blueberry in a container

emmalinesuzanne
13 years ago

I found a wild blueberry today and would like some advice on containerizing it. My family already has quite a few blueberries in the ground (which do VERY well), but I would like to keep mine in a container so I can (hopefully) bring it with me when I move out in a year or so. I have nearly all of it's roots system, including the finer roots.

What kind of soil is best? I'm in the process of creating some of Al's mix (pine bark mulch/perlite/peat moss) for some veggies. Can I use this? Will leaving out the lime be enough, should I ammend this mix with something else? Is something else altogether suggested?

Should I include a controlled release fertilizer in the soil? I think I read somewhere they like urea-based fertilizer. What would be the ideal procedure for fertilizing a blueberry in a container?

Does anyone have any idea what zone they are hardy to? I've read burying them up to the rim of the container (preferably on the north side of a building) and wrapping with burlap. I have an unheated garage it can go into if that is best. I know I still need to periodically put snow on the blueberry to prevent it from drying out. How should I over-winter it?I

Also should I double pot this blueberry to keep it's roots cool? Can I double it in a plastic pot? Does color matter (light vs dark)?

Thanks everybody!

Comment (1)