SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ardent_learner

Planting Hybrids with heirlooms?

ardent_learner
16 years ago

I like to garden. I've done so with local seeds, and have had nice success in a small garden. I've moved into a new home, have a much larger area to use for a garden, and have been looking to branch out on what I plant. I've found so many good suggestions for tomatoes and such on this site, and yet now I feel clueless because I've learned more. Does that even make sense? I've found hybrids that I want to plant and heirlooms that I want to plant, however I'm unclear as to whether planting them near each other is okay. If I want to save the seed, I think it probably isn't. But if I don't save the seed, is it okay? Will it alter the plant because of cross pollination (resuluting in not getting what you plant)? I've looked at the FAQ's but it doesn't address this. Help me out. For some reason, I'm not able to find an answer (and I'd like to think I'm fairly intelligent, but at this point who knows!?)Thanks much for any and all expertise. I labored over whether or not to post this as I didn't want to waste your time, but I just haven't been able to figure it out on my own. Sorry! Stacie

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus