SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_pnw_7b

Help - Im tired of looking like trailer trash!

mary_pnw_7b
17 years ago

We are finally going to tackle the street side of our house. We live on a lake, so lakeside is considered the front and street side the back. As you can see from the picture, I could say that I am starting with a clean slate. My dad died a month ago, and I am moving his very mature dwarf Laceleaf Japanese Maple to my house; this is the catalyst for finally landscaping this area. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of the area. My planting area is 31.5 feet long by 10 feet wide. The shorter side is 12 feet long (up to the concrete slab) by 7 feet wide. It is west facing but does receive some shade due to the large trees, I am in zone 7b. My thoughts are to put the JM by the corner of the house by the deck. I will remove the shrub that is currently there; it is planted to close to the house anyway. This area is also used for parking, so I will need to define the space too, so cars dont park in it.

Any ideas on what to do with the rest of it. I prefer trees and shrubs because I want this area to be somewhat low maintenance, but look good year round. I was thinking about putting in a Weeping Willow for height to try to hide the cable panel and electrical meter. But besides that I dont really know. The wooden structure hides our heat pump. It is the last thing my dad build for me, so that stays. I like full plantings and also love color, but am going to try to restrain from planting too many perennials.

The other thought was to build a pergola to create some depth. But I would still like to have a Weeping Willow somewhere. The other shrub in the picture is a Spirea, which could stay, or go. I am not attached to it.

How would you approach this space? I was also thinking about putting a raised planter box (similar to the one in the picture but only one box) at the end of the small concrete pad to block it from the street and put a small bistro table there. I could refinish or stain the concrete slab (this part of the house used to be a garage). The concrete slab is where all of the boat motors are. It is not large, about 8x10ft approximately.

We are scheduled to move the Laceleaf Japanese Maple next Saturday Feb. 17th. The rest of the landscaping will be done in the Spring. Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Taken from the street

Another view

Possibly add a planter similar to half of this one

Comments (12)