SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_wonderful

How many tomatoes in containers do I need to feed myself?

organic_wonderful
13 years ago

Since a fair number of people in this forum have had experience growing tomatoes in very large containers (such as 18 US gallon containers i.e. about 70L), I was wondering, as a single person, how many would I need to plant to be able to feed myself?

I am planning on growing multiple different varieties, both determinate and indeterminate. I have loads of different types in my seed tin to choose from, so I probably wouldn't be able to grow them all in large containers as the amount of 511 mix I would need would be enormous.

I know with each phenotype, variety, variations in environment etc the yield can vary, but it would really be helpful if someone could give me a ball park figure for the number of plants to grow. I would rather have a bit of an excess so that I can preserve them to use over the winter until next year if that's possible.

I imagine that growing a tomato plant in an enormous 70L pot yields much more than in the much smaller pots that gardeners normally use to grow their tomatoes in, but I have no idea how much more it is in practice, since I've never grown in this way ever before, so any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (8)