SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berryfoot

Raising height of privacy fence with plants?

berryfoot
10 years ago

Our backyard sits at the bottom of a hill and is bordered by a wood privacy fence. The fence is 6 feet tall on the sides and 7 feet tall at the back. We have lived here for five years, and I have grown tired of having to look at houses when I'm out back and in our kitchen. I feel like I'm surrounded by boxes! I did plant several trees along the fence, but they are small and not tall or full enough to screen out much of the houses yet. To add to this, only two of the several houses we can see (for blocks away) have planted trees in their yards. It makes for a very barren look. I'm wondering if there is anything not tacky looking I could make to sit against the fence that would add a few feet of green (at the very least) to the top of the fence. I have thought of vines, but my husband doesn't want to grow vines on the fence. Also, they probably wouldn't grow very much this season.

I'm looking for "instant" screening, which I realize is probably close to impossible. I still thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas, as I'm not that creative! The house next door that does have shrubs and trees in their yard makes that area of my fence look so nice. I feel that even a little bit of foliage on the other sides could spruce up the look of our backyard.

I'd like to add that I'm not planting anything in the middle of the yard yet because my son needs an open area to practice throwing and catching for baseball. Our yard is long and narrow (100 ft x 50 ft) Thanks!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting