SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
backyardener

Red Mercury Peppers?

15 years ago

Has anyone grown "Red Mercury" bell peppers? Are they any good? I googled it and can't find much. Somehow I forgot to order bell pepper seeds this year and the selection in local stores here for bell peppers is pathetic. The only two varieties I have found locally are California Wonder and Red Mercury (anyone near Boise know a good place to buy pepper seed?).

I grew Cal wonder last year and was not impressed, but we had an unusually cool spring / summer last year which might have had something to do with it. My preference is for thick walled, sweet peppers, and I like to wait until they turn red before picking. The Cal wonders were not very sweet and were late ripening for me last year.

I know... I could order some, but paying shipping on one pack of seeds seems a little silly. The Cal Wonder and Red Mercury packets are less than $2 locally. If I do decide to order, what is your favorite variety of thick walled, early, red bell peppers? The year before last I grew "Red Beauty" and they were wonderful... but we also had our normal HOT summer. Thanks.

Comments (2)