SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

On the Folly of growing 'Early' Corn.

denninmi
12 years ago

First, some background. We used to have a local farmer here in the NW 'burbs of Detroit, a gentleman who was the last local holdout in my immediate little burg, and one of his feats was to grow corn for sale by 4th of July weekend, starting it through black plastic and under row covers or low tunnels in early April and somehow, almost miraculously, it managed to survive freezes and May blizzards and all of the things that Mother Nature could throw at it and yes, most years, he did indeed have sweet corn to sell on the 4th of July.

I found this rather inspiring, for his plucky, can-do attitude as much as anything else.

Alas, he retired and sold out a few years back, his farm fields are now McMansions and Wal-Depots and what have you, but that is another issue.

So, to emulate my minor hero, I've been trying to do extra early corn, staring in early April in my greenhouse, potting up into 4" pots by late April, and into the ground mid-May.

In 2009, I would actually have been able to pick some marginally mature ears by the 4th of July, but my smallish patch was stripped bare by squirrels, who, taunting me, left the husks and cobs in the crooks of nearby trees.

Now, last year was much, much more successful. I planted two full 100 foot rows. I didn't quite make 4th of July, due to the darkest, wettest May and early June in Detroit recorded history, and rather cool as well the whole time due to the total doom and gloom of non-ending cloud cover. But, I picked my first mature enough to eat ear July 9th -- a respectable date, IMHO.

But, herein lies the rub -- this corn was just awful. I grew several kinds -- Burpee Early and Often Hybrid (SU), Burpee Early Sunglow Hybrid (SU), and a third which escapes me now. Very nice looking ears, large, well-filled, numerous. Just with the flavor, more or less, of field corn, just slightly sweeter. I did pick it and consigned it to the freezer for cooking, its marginally tolerable in things like enchilada filling where it can be doctored up and hidden with herbs and spices.

Now, I've grown many corns. I knew that an SU wouldn't stack up to my favorites like Sun and Stars (Sh2), but I chose these because they were said to have good cold weather tolerance for germination and early growth. Which they did. I just didn't remember the SU corns as being THAT dull in flavor, or more precisely, that lacking in sugar.

So, what should 2012 bring? Give up this strange quest, or risk it with some Sh2's and try to baby them through those critical early, cool weather periods? Or even some kind of SE or one of those synergistics? Several of the catalogs claim good cold weather tolerance for various corns.

Anyone know a really good-tasting, early, cold tolerant corn?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting