SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Asparagus questions?

I am seriously considering starting some Purple Passion & Larac asparagus seeds. I do realize I'm gonna have to wait a few years before harvest and I'm fine with that. I have about a 12'x12' section I can devote orrrr, I just thought of putting 1 row along my new picket fence. Maybe make the row 4' deep 3 panels long, which would be 24 ft. it's in full sun and I actually think the asparagus fronds would look very nice and airy along the fence. The few questions I have are;

The asparagus will be going across 3 main 4"x4" fence posts, if I just plant 1 row along fence. I have a baby clematis at each post I planted this past summer. If I do make the row 4' deep, will the clematis or asparaguse bother each other? I could go as deep as 5' to give them room apart, but would prefer to stay at 4'. None of the clematis are monster types. My other question is, what would be an average yield after 4-5 years? I know knowbody can give me specific's as everybody's garden is different and each season can be different. But just to get and idea of what I might get per asparagus plant. Both types I'm considering have 50/50 male and female. I'm not looking to store any, just want to have fresh asparagus to harvest during part of the summmer. I have a family of 4 and only my hubby and I are asparagus eaters. Each seed packet is only 20 seeds, so I hope i can get at least 50% germ.

Another, what's the best way to start these? I did hop over to the WS forum and post there too, wondering if I could WS these seeds?

Oh, also, since this patch or row will be in my flower bed, how far apart should I keep my other perennials and annuals away from the asparagus, so I don't disturb thier roots?

Melissa

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting