SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drzy

Plant suggestion - low/no water, evergreen, not too tall (pics)

drzy
12 years ago

The subject kind of covers the important parts already. :)

But for the backstory, I moved into a home recently that has enormous potential for a beautiful front yard. It's in a country-ish area on 6 acres, approx. 20 minutes from downtown San Antonio. It's on the edge of what's known as the Hill Country down here, so temperatures dip below freezing maybe 10 times each winter. It's rare to go below 20, but it does happen, maybe once a year.

I want to leave the vast majority of the front yard natural, but up by the top of the driveway there's an area with a massive concrete driveway on one side, and a small cliff on the other than drops to the natural area. It's a good distance from the house and approx. 200 feet long, with no sprinklers, so I'd like to plan this area planted with low (no?) maintenance evergreens, that MAYBE need to be watered in severe drought conditions. I'd also prefer to keep the plants fairly short, so the natural front yard can be seen. In other words, I don't want it all to be a giant 200 foot long hedge. :)

It was mostly "natural" when I moved in, but "natural" meant overtaken by weeds.

So my question is, what's a good plant for this area with the following characteristics (in order of importance):

1. Very little water required

2. Always green (blooms are of course great, but not necessary)

3. Not a giant hedge

4. Fairly cheap, since it's a large area

Invasive is probably fine here, since it's bound by driveway and cliffs.

I'm not sure if it'd be best to cover the entire area with one type of plant, or use a variety. Suggestions on that are also extremely welcome, as I'm at a complete loss of what to do. I'm very much a brown thumb, and have a long history of well-intentioned but poor-performing plant jobs.

Pictures (cell phone pics at desk, sorry for poor quality):

{{gwi:8440}}

{{gwi:8441}}

{{gwi:8442}}

Thanks!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor