SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herrknox

Property Line Issue

herrknox
17 years ago

We bought a rural St. Croix County, WI property in July 2006. All the documentation says that we own 5.65 acres and gives some general boundary definitions using an intersection as the point of reference.

Now we've found that the previous owner "negotiated" the current fence lines with the two neighbors. From that "negotiation" three sides of the property appear to have been brought in, making the property appear to be smaller that our paperwork.

One neighbor tells me that he had a survey done and that it was the basis of the agreement. The monument at the nearest intersection had been removed when a road was widened. According to him, that shifts all properties a bit so that the guy on bording the road isn't the only one to lose. Sounds sketchy to me, since you could never get farmers to move all those fences every time a road was widened.

As I look at the old fence that is still standing, I can't help but believe that the new line is wrong.

Both neighbors(intelligent retired men) came out ahead and the previous owner(nice, but not overly concerned) lost land. How binding is any unwritten agreement between the previous owner and my new neighbors?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths