SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexer_gw

New Garden, seeking hedge/screen advice

lexer
15 years ago

Hello,

IÂm writing to ask for advice on hedge/screen choices:

I have 177 linear feet to screen off to create privacy, enclosure, and a back layer of beds. This is most of the periphery of my 60 x 75 back yard. I donÂt want to do one solid hedge. I want height variation between 6' and 12-15'. I am zone 8. Exposure is: sun to dappled shade, one 20 section of dry shade. Style of the yard: roughly English garden  curving paths, perennial beds, some clipped box and other formal shapes in beds and as short hedges. Little or no lawn, vegetable garden on one side.

Picture of the yard as is:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=204375&l=46c88&id=734645244

I would like it to be generally a dark to medium background, so it will recede visually. I am thinking both evergreen and deciduous. Needs to be pretty narrow so that I donÂt loose my yard to it. If space were not an issue I might do informal everywhere but I think I will need to do some areas of clipped hedge to save space.

In some areas I would like to use a two-layered approach with one layer of plants close to the fence and then a second layer of plants here an there that starts to blend into the bed and to allow for points of interest, color combinations, height variation etc. I have also thought of incorporating an arch or two into the second layer, to allow for a shady seat and to give a sense of depth.

Budget is a consideration and I expect to be buying the plants small. So, I have been looking mostly at the faster growing things knowing that this means a lot of maintenance forever. I will likely buy a few larger plants this winter/spring so that I can get a jump on a couple of crucial areas.

I have a list of plants that I need to narrow down and also if thereÂs anything better I would be glad to hear it.

Also, I donÂt want to create chaos with too many kinds of hedge/screen. How many different types or sections do you think could work in a yard this size?

For sheared areas of formal hedging:

Arborvitae emerald green pyramidal (or techny or wintergreen)

illex - holly

Hemlock

Hornbeam

Beech

Privet

Myrtle

Western red cedar

For pruned but not formal hedge areas:

Viburnum, American Cranberrybush or Nannyberry or Pragense or onondaga

Osmanthus Delvayi

Elaegnus Ebbingei

Lonicera Nitidia