SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cabrita_gw

Recent harvest pictures

cabrita
14 years ago

I have wanted to start a thread on what we are all harvesting, to share the beauty, and keep reminding us of why we do what we do...

I thought we could keep this thread current (or just add a date to the pict), so new gardeners in the same zones can see what grows when. Hoping that it can help with planting times, picking varieties too maybe? If you have snow right now, I hope our early spring produce cheers you up.

These are pictures of yesterday's harvest.

Share your harvest pictures too?

[img src="{{gwi:21768}}"]

Here is one with some herbs. I harvested a variety, to make the south american 'sauce' chimichurri. It is basically parsley, plus whatever other herb might be available - I add cilantro in winter, basil in summer. I will also add rosemary (missing from the pict). Shown here is mustard on the background, oregano, parsley, cilantro, sage, marjoram, onion and garlic greens, lemon thyme, mint.

[img src="{{gwi:21770}}"]

[img src="{{gwi:21772}}"]

Comments (49)

• greenmulberry
    14 years ago

Wow! Beautiful!

all I have to harvest now is eggs. There is about a foot of snow over my garden, so I have no pictures to share, but I am glad to see others are doing well in the garden.

• whgille
    14 years ago

Beautiful harvest Cabrita!

Here are some of mine

Oriental greens

{{gwi:21774}}

Japanese carrots

{{gwi:21776}}

Peas

{{gwi:21778}}

Silvia

• Related Discussions

Fresh seeds recently harvest

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi, I am interested in your impatiens balfourii, maroon hollyhock, and the dual columbine. Things I have recently harvested: Shasta daisy Ice Star, fully double white CA poppy orange Geum red, Mrs. Bradshaw CA Douglas iris, mixed colors Western redbud, cercis (tree) Verbena bonariensis peony poppy, very bright/dark pink scabiosa, light blue perennial calendula, single orange marigold Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley', light pink digitalis purpurea (foxglove), mixed gaura lindheimeri, white cape mallow, anisodontea "Tara's Pink" stachys lanata, lamb's ear society garlic, Tulbaghia violacea Or check my list. thanks!
    ...See More

Recent heavy rain--should I harvest or not?

Q

Comments (3)
    Let me throw a couple of thoughts into the equation. First, the size of your bulbs had little to do with planting on New Year's Eve. It doesn't seem to matter when you plant it, if it has a cold-dormancy period, it matures at the same time. That is, if you had planted some in Oct, some in Nov, and the balance on New Year's Eve, it would all grow about the same. There are several reasons why garlic produces small bulbs. One of them, simply enough, can be the variety. That is, maybe it's supposed to be small. But other than that, it was likely the growing conditions. Also, keep in mind that garlic often needs an adaption period. As it gets used to your conditions it reaches its full potential. This can take as much as three years, however, depending on the original source and growing conditions. Now, as to your current problem. If the garlic is really ready to harvest, I would do so. Leaving mature garlic in wet ground can cause the wrappers to degrade, exposing the cloves. This, in turn, can lead to problems ranging from rot, to shorter keeping times. So, if this was a freak storm, and you aren't likely to see a lot more rain, it may be safe to leave them. But if more heavy rains are in the forecast, it might be better to lift and cure them.
    ...See More

HAVE: Recently Harvested seeds

Q

Comments (3)
    Now also have ready for trade:I still have some from my previous list also Buddleia Davidii Yellow Honeycomb Eryngium Yuccifolium Polygonum Polymorpha Veronicastrum Virginium Verbascum Chaixii ALba Coreopsis Moonbeam Thalictrum , Meadow Rue Echinacea Sunrise Festuca Glauca Elija Blue Hakonecloe Macra Clematis The president email me for trade Helen
    ...See More

recent harvest and a question.

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd love to get my hands on some white ghost seeds. as I understand it, that's a cross between a bhut and a white hab.
    ...See More
  • alanjones10
    14 years ago

Snowball Cauliflower ... from starts from local well known nursery. What went wrong? They don't look like any cauliflower I ever bought at a store before. See picture. Did I do something wrong? I am in Orange County, California. We followed the instructions of tying up the leaves as soon as we say a flowerette the size of a 50 cent piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowball Caulilfower

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Very nice Cabrita and Silvia

All I can harvest now are: aurugula, garlics, and chinese cabbage. I have to get some pictures.

• mauirose
    14 years ago

{{gwi:21780}}

Sylvia you must start including the names of your beautiful vegetables.

Cabrita i am still try to get carrots to grow like yours, grr.

Jimster is sure to banish us all from the forum now ; )

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    14 years ago

Wow guys, beautiful! Gives me something to look forward to. Those first photos look so professional! With our unusual snow I can't even harvest any of my spring "weeds" to liven up salads yet. Alan- I think it bolted. But I've never grown cauliflower, so I can't tell you the whys and hows... Maybe post your own thread and someone will tell you?

Cheers!

Sunni

• cabrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, this is nice!

Greenmulberry, eggs can be very photogenic too!

alanjones, I think what happened is that you waited a little too long to harvest and the cauliflower was getting ready to bolt. It will still taste good, just looks weird.

Silvia, how is the flavor of the Japanese carrots? do they withstand warmer temperatures? How about the yellow snow peas, what is the variety? taste good?

Mauirose, if you are harvesting eggplants now I am jealous of you! Carrots are one of our few problem-free crops. We do grow them in deep boxes (sifted) though. Chard used to be in that class (problem-free), until the squirrel found them. Now I need to grow sunflower so the squirrels eat those instead and leave my chard alone. The carrots shown are Scarlet Nantes (rounded bottom) and Danvers (pointy). The nantes are my favorite to eat raw in salads.

Sunni thanks for the compliment. Not professional at all just a cheap digital camera but I use natural light (from a window) I think that really helps.

• rosessecretgarden
    14 years ago

Wonderful harvest cabrita and whigwille

• whgille
    14 years ago

Mauirose and Cabrita

Here is the info on the veggies. On the carrots the red variety is Sunrise Red got it from Evergreen, it is the best carrot that I have ever tasted!

I am also growing Nantes, an all purpose, no fail carrot that I like to get it on the tape, no thinning necessary.:o)

{{gwi:21782}}

And Thumbelina that I use it roasted whole with baby potatoes

{{gwi:21784}}

On the peas I am growing about 5 different peas, when we went through the freeze the one that looked the best was the yellow kind Golden Sweet and got it from Sandhill

{{gwi:21785}}

And I made a dish using the sunrise red carrot, different snow peas, snap pea and the yellow snow pea.

{{gwi:21786}}

Silvia

• mauirose
    14 years ago

**Bump**

It's nearly May! What are you harvesting now?

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

{{gwi:8599}}

{{gwi:12770}}

{{gwi:21787}}

{{gwi:21788}}

• organicislandfarmer
    14 years ago

Shock and Awe!!! You guys are way out of my league, all you zone 9rs on facebook please friend me, link at bottom. Looks awesome!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: facebook page

• staticx
    14 years ago

whgille,how the taste of those japanese carrots?

• staticx
    14 years ago

i just read the whole thread,sorry guys

but now i know those carrots are on the wish list

• bigtrout
    14 years ago

Spring Tonic! Baby greens!
    Mostly spinach, anyone know what the little ruffle edge leaves with the purple stalk is?(in a mesclun mix)

{{gwi:21789}}

• whgille
    14 years ago

Staticx

Those carrots are really good! I still have some left in the fridge.

This is today's harvest

{{gwi:21790}}

Silvia

• cabrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Silvia, looking good!

Bigtrout, I believe these ruffled ones are baby red winter kale, also known as red russian kale.

I have been harvesting lots of peas, favas, greens and strawberries. Problem with the strawberries, they disappear into my mouth before I can get the camera....

• veggiefaery
    14 years ago

I have no pictures to share. We have harvested a bit of loveage to throw in our split pea soup. We also harvested some oregano to add to some spaghetti sauce. Other than that, there is nothing worth taking a picture of yet. I just have seedlings, which are all doing great, but not good for eating yet.

• whgille
    14 years ago

Thank you Cabrita,

I grew pak choi golden yellow, red komatsuma, and red choi, they did well with the heat.

{{gwi:21791}}

They were harvested Monday along with snap peas and loquats

{{gwi:21792}}

And today's harvest: Potatoes that I grew in a bag and greens including red russian kale and others

{{gwi:21793}}

Silvia

• star_stuff
    14 years ago

What bountiful harvests! Great pictures everyone! :-)

• mauirose
    14 years ago

The golden choi is very pretty in the garden Sylvia. How is the taste?

jonhughes those lettuce beds are great! Who are you feeding?

This week we are eating various greens, carrots, leeks, beets, lima beans, Komohana grape tomatoes and asparagus from the garden. Must take some pictures.

It is nice to see everyone's harvest starting to roll in ; )

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi Mauirose

The gloden yellow pak choi from Kitazawa is not only pretty and heat tolerant but also very tasty. The leaves are very fine and tender almost like lettuce. It makes a great salad or wraps.

How are your Komohana tomatoes? I don't think I ever tasted them.

My harvest today is beets and mini cabbage Gonzalez

{{gwi:21794}}

Silvia

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

Hi mauirose,
    I grow vegetables as a part of PAR ( Plant A Row )

It's a organization that is trying to get all gardeners to plant an extra row in their gardens to donate to their local food bank,to help provide fresh vegetables for the hungry/needy in their community... All of my garden is grown for donation to the food bank.
    ( I also partake of some goodies too )

It is a real blessing ! ! !

• mauirose
    14 years ago

What a nice thing to do jon.

Sylvia, Komohana has a nice tomato flavor. Last year i made lots of delicious tomato sauce by roasting and pureeing grape tomatoes. i plan to use the Komohanas for the same thing this year. This plant is supposed to be a determinate variety but it is acting like an indeterminate (a good thing). i saw your tomato set-up in another thread. impressive!

• toes
    14 years ago

{{gwi:21795}}

Peas! I only planted three plants this year and they have given me a plateful of peas every week. I am going to plant more next year so that I will have some to freeze

• cabrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:21796}}">

{{gwi:21797}}">

{{gwi:21798}}">

• heather38
    14 years ago

I don't know whether to smile or cry :-) they are amazing pictures, I resisted the urge to look, when this first went up as I couldn't even start indoors! but today, I got an 1oz of mesclun and 2 radishes, happy day :-) I was going to post a picture for the laugh factor, (when my Son came in and told us he had learned to ride a bike without training wheel's, so obviously forgot, :-) little Tike had borrowed (stolen) his friends from next door and just done it on his own, so yet again the independent little thing has robbed us of a great parent/Child moment :-)he also potty trained himself in a day, by taking off his nappy, only when I picked him up from nursery did I realise as the Nurses congratulated me on my effort's over the weekend! still it was a great moment, when we saw him, even if we missed the first time) sorry! funny week hubby ill this week and this was brilliant, back to veg :-)
    to weigh the lettuce may seem sad but earlier this week with frost warnings looming, I was in the Supermarche, and masclun was $3.99 for 5 oz, given that the packet of seeds, I brought was $2.49 last spring and I have had a lot of harvest's since then, most bigger than the size I got today, I think that is a pretty cool investment, still have about 1/2 the pack left.
    Happy Harvest, and I can't wait for mine proper :-)

• priya_like_tropicals
    14 years ago

Same here...Happy for you all but mine are still small....please Sunshine...just pass by and try stay here!!

• cabrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I posted the pictures in a rush and did not mention varieties. The potatoes are all blue, regular baking supermarket potatoes that sprouted (brown). Not sure about the reds, they might be atlantic.

The collards are evening star land race collards and green glaze. The tomatoes sungold hybrids. Windsor favas, palla de fuoco radicchio, mongrel snow peas, and Oregon trail sweet peas (shelling peas). Globe artichokes (first year!), Nantes and Danver carrots, chiogga and bulls blood beets. Lettuces too many to list (3 different mixed lettuce seed packs), and the Strawberries are Quinault, Chandlers and Sequoia.

Does anyone have good recipes for radicchio?

• cabrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bump? no idea if this will be brought up or not.

This thread went into never never land. Kinda discouraging about posting more pictures.

So speaking of radicchio, this year I was very successful and got lots of radicchio heads. Variety 'palla di fuoco'.

I use the inner leaves thinly sliced in salads and this is very good. However, I have so much of it, that I could do a cooked dish. Well, I tried cooking it and unlike arugula (which I also grow) the bitterness gets intensified by cooking instead of mellowing down! So raw it is, but how much raw radicchio can a person eat?

Once again the canines came to the rescue. I chopped some raw radicchio and mixed it into their cooked dog food (four small dogs). I mixed rice, bread, grated carrots, cooked egg yolks, grated cheese, tuna and chopped radicchio. They said, bring it on! can we have more? I have also caught the youngest puppy (more like a teenager now) harvesting his own peas! He just pulled the lowest pods from the vine, opened a pod and ate the peas inside. Good dog, bad dog? I guess it is OK as long as I grow pole peas, the ones on the top are for me..........LOL

• mauirose
    14 years ago

hmmm, i just brought this up in a search to add a few pictures but i don't see it on the front page so maybe it has gone to never never land. Well, now that i have put that in writing it will be sure to appear, LOL.

Your harvest pictures are gorgeous Cabrita! Too bad it is only May, you could prepare a very patriotic 4th of July potato salad with those spuds. Well, Memorial Day is just around the corner.

Sorry, i do not have any clever ideas for an abundance of radicchio but it sounds like you have solved your problem.

Here are a few recent harvest presented in a different way.

{{gwi:21800}}

Komohana grape tomatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, Musica beans in a garlic and basil infused viniagrette.

{{gwi:21802}}

Watermelon radish and Sanguine Ameliore lettuce salad. Too pretty to eat...almost.

• whgille
    14 years ago

Cabrita, that is a wonderful harvest! And sorry about the radicchio, I only had it raw.

Funny about the dogs but they are my helpers (I have 3) the girl goes straight to hunt for the blueberries she only likes Emerald and leaves the Sunshine Blue for me. And the boy is obsessed with the super sugar snap peas, and now tomatoes, pole and lima beans, lol.

Mauirose, those dishes look fantastic! In fact I am going to copy them with my produce, aren't those Musica beans tasty.

My potatoes sliced I have all blue, all red and German butterball

{{gwi:21804}}

Tomatoes, I have 45 different varieties

{{gwi:21805}}

And I made a 3 bean salad, the difference with this one is that the green beans get broil first,then chickpeas and kidney beans, add a curry dressing and some fresh onions and shallots.

{{gwi:21806}}

Silvia

• cabrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Silvia and Mauirose, I am so glad the glitches did not discourage you from posting pictures!

Is the watermelon radish a watermelon? it looks more like a watermelon than a radish. We have to still find a watermelon that does well here.

Silvia, 45 tomato varieties! wow! Right now I only have the sungold producing (and very happy to have them). Most of my tomatoes have flowers, including your cuoro di buei and the yellow cherries! and a few of the peppers too.

Maybe we will finally find a variety that does well here in each color! (we already have the black, still no orange, green, pink or red though).

• cabrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

[img src="{{gwi:21807}}"]

Collected Dec 3. Stalky herb on top is lemon grass. Roots are sunchokes, or Jerusalem artichokes. The herb on the top right is thyme. Latest ever fig collection I have had. Peppers include some pequins, aji limons, jalapenos, padrons, nardellos, and cuorno di toro. Tomatoes still a trickle, sun golds, black cherries, cherokee purple and creoles. Too late for Creoles, that was an accident. Citrus shown are navel oranges (first harvest) Eureka lemons and Myers lemons.

• ezzirah011
    13 years ago

Just beautiful! I am amazed at all the peas everyone was able to get, I got barely enough for a stir fry this year!

• caroliniannjer
    13 years ago

Back in Junish, I sought help for peppers that had grown 6 ft tall
    without showing any signs of fruiting

But once those guys got going, they produced like champs

Anyway, they finally got frosted a few days ago
    This is the final crop, from when I was taking out the plants
    (minus the ones that froze):
    {{gwi:21808}}
    ~ExNJer

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

{{gwi:21809}}

Picked from my greenhouse today.

DarJones

• whgille
    13 years ago

Very nice harvests everybody! DarJones, good job on the greenhouse, what are those red looking that look like flowers, are they peppers? if so are they hot, what is the name?

Today before we get a freeze tonight I harvested bananas, papayas, star fruit, citrus, peppers, eggplants, garbage bags full of lettuce (a lot of people are going to eat lettuce tonight,:) The harvest is too big for a picture and heavy, just the banana bunch weights about 50 pounds.

My green tomatoes

{{gwi:21810}}

Silvia

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

Those are Chapeau de Frade peppers and they are an absolute standout in my garden. They are hot but the heat is concentrated around the seed so you can clip off the bell end and have a wonderfully fruity pepper to eat. If you do nothing else for next season, please get some of these and try them. You will love them! Sandhill Preservation has seed.

DarJones

• whgille
    13 years ago

Thank you DarJones for the info on the peppers, I will for sure get them, they will go nicely with my tomatoes when I make fresh salsa.

Silvia

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi All

I went out to my garden and picked vegetables after the freeze, broccoli and carrots are better than ever!

A warm salad to warm you up, it has farro, chick peas, spices, herbs, onions, carrots and broccoli from the garden.

{{gwi:21811}}

Silvia

• stargazer943
    13 years ago

I love this thread, is there a new one? If not bumping this one:-) Hope to contribute this year!

• mandolls
    13 years ago

I agree this thread is a stunner, such gorgeous fresh vegetables and those cooked one even more beautiful.

I havent planted anything out side yet, but I did thin down my lettuce seedlings and top off my basil and had a lovely salad last night. I'm harvesting even before the garden is warm enough to plant! Wish I had taken a picture.

• ladybugsmom192
    13 years ago

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!

i'm in the sf east bay and i have nothing yet, i've got some starts - bell peppers, broccoli, cabbage, basil, and chives - in trays and under some lights, but nothing in the ground as yet. was just about to get things in when i discovered mice droppings in all my beds!!!! so, i'm starting over. hopefully i can sweet talk dear hubby into working all weekend for me, lol!

keep the pics coming, i love (and need) the inspiration!

angela :)

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

I have luck growing anything that grows in my area except carrots. Those of you who grow carrots so well, will you please share your secrets. I would build a box tomorrow and buy whatever it needs if I thought I could grow carrots like that.

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi All

I am taking you to see my garden and how it looks today and what I am harvesting.

I have a few varieties of pole beans, some of them I grew before and others like Neckargold and Blue Marbut were recommended by DarJones and they are fantastic! Thank you Dar for telling us about it, I am also growing the hot pepper.

{{gwi:21813}}

And bean harvest

{{gwi:21816}}

Squash is in season in my garden and it is very abundant, considering that I have a small garden

{{gwi:21819}}

Cavilli squash

{{gwi:21822}}

All the varieties in the picture are doing very well this season

{{gwi:21824}}

I am also getting cucumbers, peppers and some tomatoes, the bigger varieties are starting to ripen. Soon I will have a lot of that harvest!

Silvia

• stargazer943
    13 years ago

Thanks Silvia for the gorgeous pics! Love your pics!

Thanks also for the seeds you sent me recently, so excited to try them!!

• jonhughes
    13 years ago

I know , I know... Not the prettiest pics, but the Broccoli and Swiss Chard,will be eaten by some families tonight ;-)

{{gwi:21826}}

• stargazer943
    13 years ago

WOW john, those ARE pretty pictures! I'm sure the recipeints will enjoy them!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus