SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Garden design like home design?

lavender_lass
14 years ago

I know everyone has different styles, but until recently, I was having a LOT of trouble deciding how to design my garden spaces. I don't have one big, flat space so I've had to put the gardens in different areas around the house.

Finally, it occured to me that garden design is a lot like home design (which I'm more familiar with, as a hobby). I wanted a vegetable garden, but didn't have a lot of space. So, I am planning a kitchen garden (not far from the kitchen) for salad veggies, herbs, and some flowers, with a bed across from it (against the house) to capture as much heat as possible for tomatoes, eggplants and mediterranean herbs.

A larger garden will go in next year, behind the kitchen garden for bigger crops that take more space (my pantry).

I'm hoping to add a grape arbor with a dining table and chairs under it, in the back yard, close to the door. I will put a few more herbs and flowers here, mainly for fragrance and visual appeal...also really close to the kitchen.

In the front yard (entry, living room) I have roses with perennials. Around the side, in the shade, I have a little magical/fairy garden for the nieces and nephews. I'm trying to keep all the plants non-toxic and give them a place to enjoy the garden, when they visit. They also like to help with the veggies :)

Next year (I already have so much garden space I'm working on this summer) I'd like to put in antique roses against an old lilac hedge along the other side yard. I think it would be beautiful, mixed in with traditional perennials and herbs. Almost like a garden library. I also have plans for blueberry shrubs along a fence and purple raspberries along one side of the kitchen garden. I hope to find space for a few more fruit trees too.

Does anyone else have this type of design, or do you just put similar beds all around the house? I'd love to know what other people are doing and see pictures of their gardens.

Comments (12)