SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

2012 Cucumber Yield

soilent_green
11 years ago

Last summer I had mentioned in this forum that I would post my total cucumber harvest when the season was over. Well, better late than never. I figure this might still be of value to folks regarding cucumber planting/yield ratios for garden planning. If nothing else, enjoy all the green in the photos.

If interested, the original thread with discussion and planting/growing details can be accessed here.

Cucumber trellis was 46 feet in length. Single row, seeded for a four to six inch final plant spacing. Variety was "Boston Pickling" which is one of my favorite production varieties, great for pickling as well as fresh eating.

First bulk harvest occurred on July 18, last bulk harvest occurred August 24. Total harvest was at least nine bushels, or approximately one bushel for every five feet of trellised row. This in spite of early damage to the plants from deer browsing. Many people around here love baby dills so I always picked cucumbers that were 1 1/2 inch and longer. Letting them all size up before picking would probably have tripled the volume of the harvest, but I strongly suspect that my close harvesting aided in overall production.

I could have had at least one more picking but I simply did not want to deal with it anymore at that point and could not get myself to do it. I was a bit tired of eating them and already had plenty processed, plus family, friends, and neighbors were getting tired of me asking them if they wanted any more cucumbers. The remaining production was composted. I would sure like to have even just one of those fresh cucumbers right now!

Harvest occurred during drought conditions. I watered the plants every four days or so. No fertilizer of any kind was used. No pesticides of any kind were used. Cucumber plants had zero pest/disease issues but this is more typical than not since I switched to trellising years ago, and plant where there is generous air movement. I love the trellising method and will never go back to growing cucumbers on the ground.

Cucumber Plants:

{{gwi:21535}}{{gwi:21537}}

{{gwi:21539}}

Harvests (Complete, first harvest to last harvest. The capacity of the crates in the photos is a bit more than half a bushel per crate.):

{{gwi:21541}}{{gwi:21543}}

{{gwi:21545}}{{gwi:21547}}

{{gwi:21549}}{{gwi:21551}}

{{gwi:21553}}{{gwi:21554}}

{{gwi:21555}}{{gwi:21556}}

{{gwi:21557}}

Wishing a successful 2013 gardening season to all!
-Tom

Comments (17)