SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliceinvirginia

Potting mix ingredients substitutions?

aliceinvirginia
15 years ago

Based on limited testing, I've decided that Al's mix drains a bit too much to be good for growing vegetables from seed in self-watering containers. The soil within 1/2 inch of the top always seems to be fairly dry. Rainfall or top watering can run through and head to the water reservoir. Found that out the hard way.

It also is a little too loose for lightweight root systems.

However, my container Dahlia in a 5 gallon bucket really likes it. Haven't tried a lot of herbs yet.

I also think Ed Smith's book on self-watering containers that said to use 1/2 part potting mix and 1/2 part compost compacts way too easily.

There are tons of different potting soil recipes out there. I also have tons of potting mix ingredients, and wanted some opinions about substitutions based on what I have.

Here are some guesses. Correct me if I am way off.

- Peat might break down 3-5 times as fast as composted pine bark.

- Vermiculite might break down at 5-10 times as fast as perlite. "Fresh" vermiculite might be a little bit more water retentive than fairly fine perlite.

- Compost generally start as pretty fine/compacted particles but varies a lot depending on type of material used for the compost and how aged it is. Depending what you have, it can either supply too much nitrogen too quickly (fresh manure?) or take away too much nitrogen (partially composted hardwood wood fines??).

- Hardwood bark fines break down much faster than pine bark fines.

- Turface is about equal to perlite in retentiveness and porosity but lasts a lot longer.

- 1 part pine fines and 1 part average, non-compacted compost might equal 2 parts of fresh, non compacted peat moss.

- 1 part very coarse sand and 1 part pine bark fines might equal 2 parts of perlite in porosity/water retention. No idea on breakdown of pine bark vs perlite.

- Peat and Pine Bark are both fairly acidic, but I don't know which one is more acidic.

So how crazy am I with these guesses?

Thanks,

Alice

Comments (2)