SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Do you leave your pea roots in the ground for the next crop?

anney
16 years ago

I read a British gardening website where the author advises people to cut their pea plants off at ground level before removing the vines from their support so that nitrogen in the roots will be available to the next crop. He also recommended mulching crops with pea vines for the same reason.

My question is about the roots rather than any beneficial nitrogen residue. If you leave the roots in the earth and plant something else in your pea-bed right after you remove the vines (I'm planning to put tomatoes and cucumbers there, using the same sturdy trellis), will the disintegrating pea-roots crowd the other roots?

=====

PS & Off-Topic: Does anyone else find a very very annoying Imodium advertisement appearing at the top of the screen where you must either manually collapse it to a small size or wait for 5 seconds before it reduces to a smaller size and shifts everything on the screen upward? I use the Mozilla browser, and the pop-up blocker doesn't block it, probably because it isn't really a pop-up. The smaller sized advertisement remains at the top of the screen when it reduces size. I WISH they'd put it somewhere else. I get angry every time I refresh my screen or go to another forum. It is SO aggravating.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting