SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanama_gw

Need help planting in small swale/'rain garden'

tanama
17 years ago

Sorry, I don't know how to describe what I'm trying to do without a long explanation: Please bear with me!

We have some significant stormwater drainage issues on our property and we're attacking them from many different directions. In one area, I'm going to try addressing the problem with something that might be considered a rain garden, or might be considered a very small vegetated swale, and I could really use some help from the more garden-savvy mamas here to plan it out -- I just have no clue at all what plants would look good and grow well in the conditions they'll be in.

The situation with that area is this: The house that borders the back of our property (which is also the side of our driveway area, since we have an L-shaped lot) very clearly had the lot raised & graded when it was built, many decades after ours. So his yard is a foot or two higher than ours. To make matters worse, the downspouts that drain the rain from most of his roof are on the side of his property bordering ours, and he has pipes connected to them which direct the water to the edge -- basically, we get most of his storm runoff, and according to the local zoning office there's nothing we can do about it. The water from his house/lot is absolutely NOT the only source of water in our yard, but it's one of many that we hope to address.

What I want to do is to put in a garden along part of that area which will help to hold and redirect some of that water. I'm TOTALLY open to other ideas, because honestly I don't really know what I'm doing, but this was my thought: Build up a small berm along the edge of the property to hold some of the water back; plant things that can tolerate some short-term water buildup in a 2' or so wide area; then build up an edge on the other side so that the planted area can serve as a swale to both hold water and route it towards the street, if necessary.

First to give you some perspective, here's a pic of the absolute worst case scenario, when our whole county had some serious localized flooding. That's our driveway you're looking at; notice our neighbor's house is high & dry (it's a large panoramic pic):

{{gwi:6640}}

Now, bear in mind that this is NOT normal for here. However, we do get lots of water pooling in the driveway after a significant rain, and it illustrates how much of a difference there is between our neighbor's lot and ours.

Here's a pic that I hope helps describe what I'm trying to do:

{{gwi:6641}}

Ok, now I hope you have an idea of what I'm trying to do. Here are my questions.

1. Can someone help me pick a variety of perinneal plants that would grow well in this ditch/garden bed, and give me an idea of how to lay them out so they'll look nice? I need plants that can tolerate getting dry (no wetlands plants) but can also tolerate having saturated roots for a day or so. From what I'm reading, iris's do pretty well with that and I have a bunch of different irises I could transplant there. I also found a list on page 22 of this document, of "rain garden" plants that would work in my area: http://www.delawareestuary.org/pdf/HomeownersGuideSWMgmnt.pdf

I just have no idea which of these would tolerate the sun/shade conditions there, or how they'd look in this situation.

2. Is there something I could plant on the mounded areas that would help to keep the soil from eroding, and create a nice border for the garden bed?

Thanks for your patience in reading through this, and thanks for any ideas & suggestions you have!!

(fyi, there are many other things we're going to do to address our stormwater drainage problems; this is just one part of our overall plan)

Comments (5)