SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Growing saffron in the South?

anney
15 years ago

Forgive me for posting this here -- the Herb forum is pretty inactive right now. So maybe you have the information I'm looking for.

The idea of growing saffron has been intriguing me for months, so I've gradually learned what I can about it.

Saffron costs more per ounce than gold when bought in grocery stores, and each flower has three long red stigmas that is the "saffron", used by most Americans for flavoring, particularly rice. The saffron bulb is "crocus sativas" and blooms only in the fall. It propagates only by corms, not seed. If you order corms (not terribly expensive for the small home gardener's use), they are usually shipped to you in time for fall planting and will bloom the next fall.

So, here goes. If you live in the South, have you successfully grown saffron and how did you do it? Will it grow in large containers with proper drainage and if left undisturbed? Or would it be better to plant them in my flowerbed out front that has a Southern exposure, really hot in the summer months?

What's been your experience, good or bad?

Here is a link that might be useful: A History of the Uses of Saffron

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting