SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doccraw

Drainage ditch / weeds/ landscaping oh my!

doccraw
17 years ago

Hello all,

It's been a long time since my last post about this drainage ditch. The water used to flow out from the tube and flood our yard, we were able to have the yard regraded so our yard no longer floods. The water goes out to a drain field that happens to be our neighbors yard- It was a long battle he tried to fight with the city years before we moved in, he did not have deep pockets and lost. We have worked together and discovered plugging up the drain hole slows down the water flow enough to allow the water on the ground to seep in.

My wife and I had a landscaper put a layer of stone in the ditch and lined it with small boulders. It looked nice for a year or so until muck and dirt covered them. Mostly runoff from a neighbors yard that had not started his lawn. He replaced the rocks, but another year has passed on it has been covered again with muck and weeds are growing in. Frogs and a snake have taken up residency.

On to my questions. We think it looks pretty ugly and would like to do something with the drain. I'm not sure if we should try rocks again- perhaps landscape fabric then rocks?

Should we give up on rocks and try to add some type of ground cover plant that tolerates water?

The city is well aware of the issue and could not care less. My neighbor whose yard is the drain area would like to cement the drain hole up :-)

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Image link:

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County