SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott_schluter

Help for a semi-noob please?

Scott Schluter
16 years ago

I've gardened on a small scale for a number of years. Nothing grand, mostly tomatoes and squash since I didn't really have the time and space for it. We've moved into our new house and had a pretty good crop last year, albeit a small endeavor. I want to ramp it up this year and experiment with a number of different plants. I also need to fill this empty pallet of a yard. The site is just off Cape Cod, Massachusetts and is mostly sand with very little, poor loam with lots of sand in a small pile. I lasagna garden and container for my vegetables. I can use the loam for flower beds and may get some more or some organics and manure to mix in with the sand. I'll worry about getting the materials later.

Here's where I need help. I created a spreadsheet with all the seeds and planting information I could gather on them in an attempt to plan out the season and to keep track of what I did for future seasons. Below is a link to the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is split into two main parts, planting indoors and planting outdoors. The indoor planting is self explanatory. The plant outdoor section is split into two sections for each date, seeds and the seedlings I started indoors. Within each of the sections, I subdivided into the dates I plan on planting based on the information I found. The actual date of planting could be one weekend before or after and in some cases will extend a few weekends to allow successive plantings and the harvest to spread out a bit. The columns should be self explanatory, type of plant, where I got the seeds, suggested indoor and outdoor plant dates from web search or on packets, and planting and plant additional information. I could use some experienced eyes to let me know if I have any glaring errors or any adjustments to what I found in my research. I plan on starting indoor seeds on a shelf with lights. My wife reminded me I have some fish tank hoods with lights. Would those work or should I just get the flourescent fixtures at Home Depot? On the chart, the last section is plants that I am missing information on in order to complete my plan. Any information on these would be greatly appreciated. It seems like a lot, but I plan on doing small plantings of many of the seeds and saving the rest for next season.

Thanks in advance for any help in filling in information or correcting what I have come up with. I am in Zone 6b or 7 (right on the line). The link below is a jpg image that can be downloaded from my photobucket account and zoomed in to read.

{{gwi:18268}}

Comments (6)