SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_wonderful

Planting tomatoes ON TOP of the soil outdoors - yay or nay?

organic_wonderful
13 years ago

As most of us know, backfilling into the soil by adding ammendments like garden compost into the planting hole does not really work and can be counterproductive. However, a while ago I bought special bottomless pots for tomatoes that are meant to be planted on the soil surface itself and results in the roots emerging from the bottom of the compost (such as the 511 mix which is what I'll be using). I'm not sure if these pots have a special name, but can you experts out there tell me whether this practice is okay?

Or should I get smaller pots (like a small 5" pot) filled with the 511 mix and just plant this into the well cultivated soil?

Am I okay to add organic matter like compost, peat moss (if the soil pH is too high) or well rotted manure as a mulch, as long as it's distributed over as large an area as possible? The plan is to allow the earthworm population to drag the mulch below.

Finally, if I wanted to improve the soil drainage could I dig out a trench by my raised bed and place a large PVC pipe with holes in it, which is covered in secure permeable landscaping fabric, and fill underneath, on the sides and ontop of the pipe with gravel? The idea would be that the water would seep into the pipe away from the plant, and I could possibly place an electric sump pump in there to remove the water if need be.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21