SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maca9

How to properly adjust Gritty mix ratio?

11 years ago

Hi all

I am relatively new to this forum and like many before me have found the info on the soil mediums for containers from Al to be incredible.

I have moved several of my citrus to 5-1-1 mix and whilst early days they seem to be going well!

I'm keen to now try the true gritty mix but have a problem. I can't get turface or equivalent here for love nor money. Well not that I can find. The closest is attapulgite kitty litter ( far away and VERY expensive shipping) or hydro ponic clay balls (I have some 4mm clay balls in the shed unused currently).

I have though established from many posts that the following ingredients are gritty mix potential. All be it a variation from the true gritty.

-Pine bark (correct size but the upper end of the typical gritty mix bark size range)
-Pumice
-Perlite
-Scoria

I grow potted citrus trees in a relatively temperate climate. Mild winters with reasonably solid rain fall and summers which don't get beyond high 20's Celsius very often.

My question is... based on the above ingredients what ratio would you suggest I mix for a modified gritty mix.

My default will be the 1-1-1 pumice/perlite/bark that greenman used a while ago and did a very helpful post on for his Moro.

I have seen Al tweak the ratio sometimes when products change from the standard so thought I'd check before charging off and making some.

If I was to use perlite/pumice/bark should I stick with 1-1-1?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cheers

Macca

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!