SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

Why a grow plants from seed?

bugbite
13 years ago

In my garden club I was aked why I grow from seed?

I said price, but that wasn't the reason I came up with after I thought about it more. Sure I can get 200 seeds from the best impatiens for $3.25, but it is not that.

At my local retailer I can pick from three types of impatiens; red, pink and white. From my favorite catalog I can pick from 256 impatien choices. At the store they sell plants that are designed for pac sales. That means the plant looks good in tiny pacs. BUT that might be the best garden variety, most beautiful colors or flowers.

As an example, sunflowers. Think of a typical sunflower plant. How big does if get? Did you know my catalog has sunflower plants that mature at 8 inches tall, 12 inches, 4-5 feet and 12 feet. They have 75 different types (many sizes and colors). Half don't produce seed, which means they do not have pollen. Very important for growers who use smaller sunflowers in arrangements. I can only get these choices from my catalog. (Note: Not the poor germinating seeds for the big stores; that has discouraged more gardeners than anything less. I am speaking of quality seeds from the very best catalog seed companies..not the most famous, the BEST in terms of variety, germination rate and price.)

I don't use trays; I direct sow. I experiment alot. If it doesn't grow like I envisioned, so what, I have plenty that do.

It is all about the adventure...that's why I grow from seed. Why do you grow from seed?

Bob

Comments (16)