SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Some questions about black plastic and other sheet mulches

plantslayer
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

I want to try using black plastic this year with stuff that I need to plant out early in order to get a jump on the growing season. In the past I've used low tunnels here in Seattle to good effect, and I am hoping that the black plastic will help even more with putting out warm weather crops such as tomatoes and peppers soon after the last frost date. Also I am hoping that the plastic will keep my crops clean and help delay or prevent soil born disease which inevitably show up at some point in the growing season.

So anyway, here are my questions:

1) Will black plastic help or hinder slugs? Slugs are a problem here in Seattle, and I notice they tend to hide under cardboard, cloth, plastic jugs or lids, etc. Does the plastic cook or suffocate them? Does help them? What about other bugs?

2) Do alternatives to black plastic such as woven weed barrier or the mulchable/degradable "bio-film" versions of plastic mulch also warm the soil up?

3) I am growing in a small plot in a community garden; if I use this kind of mulch, is hand watering still feasible? I figured that I could just water inside the hole where the transplants go, or poke holes in the plastic, but generally the info on using plastic mulch says you "have" to use drip or soaker irrigation.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Comments (6)