SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zen_man

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 19

zen_man
11 years ago

Greetings all,

Welcome to this ongoing message thread. Once again, the previous part of this continuing series, It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 18, is becoming rather long and slow to load or read, so we are continuing the series here for yet another fresh start.

The same guidelines apply here. Anything remotely related to zinnias is fine. As always, you are invited to post your pictures, but as a courtesy to readers with smaller monitors, try to keep the pictures posted from being huge. Before they started showing all those advertisements in the right-hand part of the screen, a picture that was 986 pixels would not create a scroll-bar under the messages, but that is no longer the case. I still limit myself to 986 pixels, but use your own judgement on that. I won't mind if you post wider pictures. My Nikon D3200 camera takes pictures with 6016 x 4000 pixels, so I downsize them in a software editor for use on the Web.

If you upload large pictures using GardenWeb's software, they will be automatically downsized to 640 pixels wide. In my opinion, that is smaller than need be. That subject was discussed here in the Zinnia art message thread. Fortunately GardenWeb allows you to embed enough HTML in your messages to insert pictures wider than 640 pixels.

This picture is 986 pixels wide, and it shows a recent snapshot of part of my zinnia patch of Whirligig zinnias.

{{gwi:24469}}
After the recent killing freezes here, I have since pulled up all of those zinnias and bagged them in trash bags to be sent to the landfill. Previously I made compost piles with my zinnia discards, but I quit doing that several years ago because my compost piles didn't get "hot" enough to kill transmitted zinnia diseases.

As always, I look forward to your participation in this message thread, to ask questions, answer questions, post pictures, or just make any kind of comment.

ZM

Comments (106)