SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimster_gw

Regional Adaptation Experiment - Volunteers Needed

jimster
14 years ago

Last summer I grew a corn called ÂNarragansett Indian Flint CornÂ. I grew this corn because it seemed an appropriate choice my attempt at a three sisters garden and because I like to help preserve regional heirloom vegetables.

Prior to growing this corn I had read and reread Carol DeppeÂs description of it in her excellent book, Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties.

"Many superb varieties are not readily available commercially because they have narrow adaptations to particular regions. ÂNarragansett Indian Flint for example, is said to be the corn that was given to the Pilgrims by the Indians, the corn that made the jonnycakes that were eaten at the first Thanksgiving. However, ÂNarragansett Indian Flint (also known as ÂRhode Island White CapÂ) has a narrow ecological adaptation. It likes the quasi-Mediterranean climate of Southern New England. It is too long season for Northern New England, and too heat-intolerant for the Southeast or Midwest. It is not widely enough adapted nor popular enough to warrant its production as a seed crop via normal channels.

ÂNarragansett makes wonderful jonnycakes -- the very best, IÂm told. I donÂt know if they are the very best possible, but IÂve tried them and they are truly delicious. ÂNarragansett also makes rich, full[bodied cereal and polenta. But you canÂt buy the seed from commercial suppliers. If you garden in the Midwest, of course, you donÂt care, because you canÂt grow the corn anyway. But given our current system for mass producing food and seed crops, the fact that you canÂt grow the corn in the Midwest now means that you canÂt grow it in southern New England either unss you can save your own seed."

I have confidence in CarolÂs information, not only because of her all around high level of scholarship but because she has spent time in Southern New England as a student and mentions having tasted jonnycakes made from ÂNarragansett corn meal. She obviously knows what she is talking about.

IÂve always wondered about that tight regional adaptation issue, however. It strains my credulity a little. Is ÂNarragansett really not worth growing outside southern New England? Probably it is a matter of degree, not an absolute limitation. I would like to know to what degree. WouldnÂt you?

I am seeking about 30 gardeners from a broad geographic area who would be willing to plant a small plot (about 12 x 12Â) of ÂNarragansett and report on their results. I will supply the seeds and planting information so that all participants are growing under comparable conditions, other than climate and soil.

Jim

P.S. For an example of a previous gardening experiment I conducted, see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foliar Feeding Experiment

Comments (13)