SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Deer Resistant Annuals

DYH
14 years ago

I am usually on the Cottage Garden or Perennials Forums, but I branched out into annuals this year. Mostly, lured by my interest in your zinnia threads! My garden is fairly new, having moved here 4 years ago (built the house). However, I've been gardening for over 30 years.

Deer resistant gardening is sort of my niche, so I have been testing different annuals -- SO FAR this year. As we enter autumn, this is the true test as the deer begin to eat when the food supply dwindles.

To put this in perspective, the deer herd (25+ and growing) sleeps in the meadow next to my unfenced outer gardens. They wander through it to drink from our stream. They come up on the patio (through the outer gardens) to eat impatiens out of the planters.

As always, YOUR deer herd may like plants that my deer herd doesn't eat. I start by placing "test plants" where deer can't help but stumble over them. If they escape damage, then I plant more the following year.

Larkspur - no damage

Cleome - no damage

Angelonia - no damage

Verbena bonariensis - no damage

Rose campion (hardiness depending on zone) - no damage

Marigolds - occasional tasting, no significant damage. I have A LOT of blooms.

Snapdragons - occasional tasting, no significant damage.

Cosmos sulphureus (orange only) - a bit of tasting, no significant damage. This surprised me as I expected munching. I haven't tried cosmos binnatus with deer.

Zinnias - so far, so good. A few were tasted over the summer, but the pinching back just created more blooms. They don't seem to like the foliage at all. This morning, eight deer were munching right beside some zinnias. I expected the buds to be gone, but not a single nip. These are all Benary's Giant. I haven't tested any other variety so far.

Purple petunias - no damage. I haven't tested any other colors. These are very fragrant.

Purple fountain grass (annual here) - no damage

Persian shield - no damage. These are in container pots right beside the paths, so these are at nose level with the deer.

Basil - three varieties, no damage. I use basil with flowers and allow some to bloom for interest.

Hope this is helpful,

Cameron

Chapel Hill NC

{{gwi:23950}}

Comments (9)