SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

opinions on some tulip and Narcissus-cultivars?

linaria_gw
13 years ago

So it is almost autumn again and planting time soon. I want to order some stuff for my perennial border in partial shade.

Soil isr rich, loamy, lots of organic matter

moisture quite a lot, I had hardly to water in the summer

as for the shade: the elm tree providing some of it is dying, the rest is wandering shade by our building.

In 2008 I planted abot 50 single early tulips (couldn`t resist the colour), which were lovely in 2009 and almost gone this spring.

Problem: I am not sure whether they disliked the moist soil over the summer or whether I damaged lots of them when shuffeling plants and editing the whole border.

learning from mistakes...

so I want stuff that can naturalize. The catalogue from my supplier has some lists with recomondations (for sun, shade, to naturalize). I tried to check them with the British bulbs`book by Phillips and Rix: surprise, contradiction.

So finally my questions:

Narcissus cyclamineus-hybr group: by Rix listed as suitable for part shade in general, in the catalogue just 3 cultivars mentioned (February Gold, Jetfire, Peeping Tom), the rest for full sun. Do yours last in part shade, any particular cultivar, how does Jack Snipe?

Tulipa viridiflora`Spring Green`: recommended for shade in the catalogue. So I know, most (all?) Tulips love sun. Did yours grow well in the second year? (they always manage a flower in the 1...) And I am not sure whether this means that Spring Green will/could keep flowering in year 2, 3+

last question: Fosteriana Tulips

are they happy in a soil which isn`t really dry over the summer? Sweetheart would go with the rest of my stuff. I could pop it into a dry, sunny stretch at the foot of the back wall (about 2 feet wide), just not sure whether to spread them throughout the whole border (in shadier parts)

Thanks for any hints, I would love the new stuff to thrive permanentely, bye, Lin

Comments (8)