SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Kind of Off Topic, but regarding 'The Resilient Gardener' /ebooks

denninmi
13 years ago

All of the discussion on George's thread about 'The Resilient Gardener' by Carol Deppe has convinced me to buy it.

I was considering buying the ebook edition from Amazon.com -- it's $3 cheaper than the paperbook, plus no shipping charges, and it's INSTANT.

They have the first chapters on there as a free trial download. So, I checked it out.

What a miserable way to read a book, IMO. I can view about a third of page of text at a time when the viewing window is maximized. There appears to be absolutely no way to print it out, or to even copy and paste the text to a word processor and print it. The first chapters of the book equal 196 pages of "ebook" -- I can't believe they're anywhere near that long in the real paper copy -- each page of the ebook must be about 1/4 of the printed page at best.

Now, I realize that this is the "Kindle for PC" utility, so it may not have the "bells and whistles" of an actual ebook reader like a Kindle.

Questions: What content is lost from an e-book? How about photos and illustrations? Are those viewable in this format? If so, are they in color if in color in the paper version of the book? IS there a way to print a paper copy from the ebook for personal use?

It just seems dumb to me the way it's set up. I think I should just spring for the hardcopy.

Comments (5)