SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reallivefarie

problem with summer squash plants

reallivefarie
17 years ago

I am new to container gardening, and am enjoying every minuet of it. I have planted both of my front and back balcony with all sorts of wonderful vegetables from corn and carrots to snow peas and lettuce. Being new there is a lot of trial and error, and I have (I think) a small problems with one of my summer squash varieties.

I have planted three types, flying saucer, papaya pear and a zucchini. They are approximately 8-10 inches tall, one per 5 gallon bucket. The problem is with the papaya pear. On the first true leaves of all four plants, the edges, about a quarter of and inch in, are brown and crispy. The rest of the leaf and all of the other leaves including the seed leaves and the second and third true leaves look fine. The two other squashes which are getting the exact same treatment look fine. I have no idea if it is too much water/fertilizer/sun ect or not enough water/fertilizer/sun or something else all together. They get 6-8 hours of sun, I water every morning unless the soil feels really wet still and I have fertilized with a fish emulsion (which smells like death by the way) every 3 weeks for so. Because it seams to have only affected the one leaf per plant I am not too concerned, but I thought I would ask anyways.

Also I plan on trellising them, and am wondering about how to start them climbing. I am making an eye hook and rope trellis to do it on. Do I wait until they are a certain length and then tie the vines to the rope? Can I just twist them around?

Any help is much appreciated

Kelsey

Comments (4)